Working closely with the Client, Hayes Engineering drafted, fabricated, painted and erected over 850 tonnes of structural steel to plan, sequence and cost.
The completed structure houses:
- An Olympic size main ice pad of 65 metres by 30 metres, 4 metres longer and 4 metres wider than the previous facility.
- A second slightly smaller pad of 54m by 24m, where junior hockey matches could be played.
- 4 curling lanes; the first ever in Cardiff.
- A gymnasium, featuring around 30 work stations and a dance studio.
- Facilities to stage major boxing or other sports events if required.
Using Tekla Structures software, Hayes Engineering was able to model the entire project to BIM level 2. The IFC models created by Hayes Engineering were uploaded onto 4Projects (online platform), along with 2D General Arrangement drawings for comment by Kier, Structural Engineers, Architects and clash detection with all stakeholders.
During construction the steel fabrication model was provided for approval in 3D format, which greatly assisted the approval process. Once approved, we were able to produce 2D fabrication drawings direct from the model, ensuring accurate and high-quality fabrications.